10/11/07

Lowjen

There's a man in our Mandarin class named Lawrence, but our teacher calls him Lowjen. I cannot figure this out, because her English is excellent and I've never heard her badly mispronounce any other words. One time she said "homewife" instead of "housewife"- and another time she said that some Chinese people "sparkle" their soy milk with salt. Both of these mistakes had nothing to do with pronunciation. Also, they were endearing.

But every week when teacher Zhang is calling roll, and I see her eyes fall on the name "Lawrence," and all of a sudden she hesitates, and then slowly says, "Lowwjen." Not Lorjent, not Lojence. Low-jen.

This reminds me of the infinite misspellings and mispronunciations related to Leighton's name. Just so you know, it's pronounced (G)LAY-dun. There's just the slightest hint of a hard "g" sound at the beginning there.

3 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Blogger Leighton said...

I would think that it would be easier to get Lowjen from Leighton than from Lawrence. The funniest thing about Lowjen is that he doesn't respond when she calls his name (since it sounds nothing like his name), and then she has to wait until she can make eye contact with the purple sweatshirt-clad fellow.

 
At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's funny. Almost as funny as your brother calling me "Alex" for about 10 weeks.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger they call me the R said...

I'm getting you and L. work visas so i can hire you in my factory/office/sweat-shop.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com